The Perfect Project Manager
- Professional Services Director - Stoneseed Ltd
- IT Project Management - all industries
A great Project Manager is worth their weight in gold!
I’ve read a lot of articles about the characteristics of a Project Manager.
Any Project Manager can follow a process, run around at the last minute and get everyone else running around to deliver a project - Project Management on the fly ………
But, great Project Managers are born with the right skills and can deliver a project effortlessly, with little stress and without offending anyone along the way.
So what are the characteristics of a great Project Manager?
- They have the aptitude to naturally command people to undertake work on their projects and negotiate with internal and external people to ensure a smooth path for project completion.
- They foresee issues before they occur, with the ability to say no and understand what to concentrate on, and what to ignore, to drive the project through to delivery.
- They can communicate with everyone, from the lady on reception, (who is actually the most important person on site) to the CEO. They understand the wants and needs of stakeholders, before they do.
- They understand how Project Management processes and governance can help deliver a project, and when and what to use. Not completing documentation to sit in the drawer.
- They are not scared of making a decisions, they don’t need a committee to make one. They always strive to do the right thing and do not worry about what people think.
- Their work ethic is customer focused, and they will work the hours required to get the job done, in a timely smooth and entertaining manner. A sense of humour always helps!
So if you find a Project Manager with the charm of James Bond, the patience of Mother Teresa, the negotiation skills of Kofi Annan, the hide of an armadillo, the knowledge of Google and the tenacity of a toddler with the “why” question, snap them up.
David Cotgreave MBA, BSc (hons), PRINCE II, is Professional Services Director at Stoneseed, with over 30 years’ experience in IT Project Management & Consulting. David has worked with organisations such as BT Engage IT and KPMG, before founding Stoneseed in 2009 and has gained considerable business experience whilst working with a wide range of organisations across the UK and Europe carrying out a range of strategy, review and implementation projects. David is currently responsible for leading the Programme and Project Management Services PMaaS offered by Stoneseed.